Facebook have simplified their requirements for your business to run a Facebook promotion. You longer need to use a Facebook apps, promotions can be offered via your timeline, which is good news for many small businesses.
It’s probably not so good news for the companies proving app generating services such as Woobox.
Here’s the gist of the Facebook announcement:
We’ve removed the requirement that promotions on Facebook only be administered through apps
Now, promotions may be administered on Page Timelines and in apps on Facebook. For example, businesses can now:
- Collect entries by having users post on the Page or comment/like a Page post
- Collect entries by having users message the Page
- Utilize likes as a voting mechanism
As before, however, businesses cannot administer promotions on personal Timelines.
They’ve also tightened up on the use of hashtags in promotions:
Accurate tagging is required in promotions
In order to maintain the accuracy of Page content, our Pages Terms now prohibit Pages from tagging or encouraging people to tag themselves in content that they are not actually depicted in. So, for instance:
- It’s OK to ask people to submit names of a new product in exchange for a chance to win a prize
- It’s not OK to ask people tag themselves in pictures of a new product in exchange for a chance to win a prize
The cynic in me says that they’ve done this because they were in a hopeless position trying to enforce their previous rules which were widely flouted by small and big businesses alike.
It does throw a bone to those ethical businesses that were following the rules and being disadvantaged by those disregarding them.
Here’s a link to the announcement: It’s now Easier to Administer Promotions on Facebook
And here’s a link to Facebook’s Page Terms and Conditions